The Art of Vision
VISION = a preferred future – everybody has vision = HOPE
What vision can do for you
- it gives you a clear picture of what you want and what not.
- the clearer the vision, the easier to say yes or no.
What vision can do for people around you
- it gives purpose
- it gives belonging
- it gives meaning
- it gives direction
Creating a vision
- keep it simple (it takes time to make it simple)
- it needs to be memorable = portable
- it can’t be complete (the larger the audience the simpler the vision)
Communicating a Vision
- repeat it (everybody needs to know the vision in order to have every job motivated)
Careful If you want to create a complete vision statement, it will be too long. If you say everything you say nothing. Here are two good examples
- Bono: make poverty history!
As a rock star, I have two instincts, I want to have fun, and I want to change the world. I have a chance to do both. Bono
- Obama: Yes we can!
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we’ve been waiting for. We are the change that we seek. Barak Obama
I often hear leader say: “my people are not motivated, not committed”. It’s only because vision is not comunnicated clearly and often enough.
A vision needs to be emotional
- what is the problem?
- what could the future look like?
- produce a 120 sec. video with your vision
- stand in front of people and say what you see (again and again)
- live your vision (smoke what you sell)
Read more from ND here.
Tags: ND Strupler, Recasting Vision, Vision Frame