A pastor friend sent me an e-mail yesterday asking for some guidance with a missional book reading list by Sentralized. As I typed a response, I sent him a chapter that puts “missional” in perspective of how we think about church. I wanted to make that chapter available to you for free.
Here is a chart that the chapter is based on (from page 29 of Church Unique). As I addressed church vision and model-making in 2007, I felt that church leaders needed a thoughtful and simple critique of the Church Growth Movement. Most importantly, I thought they needed a baseline understanding of “missional” and what it means for culture-shaping and vision-casting today. In fact, one of the final possible titles for the book was “Missional Vision.” But we decided to introduce “missional” in the subtitle instead.
You should read this chapter if you:
- Want a simple definition and explanation of what “missional” means
- Cut your teeth on ministry within the Church Growth Movement
- Get confused by all of the category complexity in labeling church stuff
- Think the idea of “ministry vision” is tainted today
- Enjoy tension in talking about church models
- Wonder whether or not your church should be growing
- Just love the topic of the missional church
FREE CHAPTER – This is Chapter 3 of Church Unique, entitled “The Iniquity of Church Growth”- Chapter 3: ChurchGrowth vs. Missional
If you find the chapter helpful, please let the folks at Sentralized know. Maybe they will add it to their list.
QUESTION: Let me know the single most helpful book you read in understanding the missional church. I’ll tell you mine in a follow-up post.